Wyandra Heritage Trail

Wyandra Heritage Trail
Wyandra was the name given to an original selection on the Warrego River, along with Claverton, Ardgour and Clovelly.

All are English names from the same area in England. It would seem the early settlers were homesick, or had a sense of humour.
The explorer, Edmund Kennedy passed this way in 1847, camping on the river. He noted in his journal "a two mile stretch of water 60 yards wide" and ou can visit the site of his Camp 18.

The town of Wyandra was founded on this waterhole and the sandy stretch of river soon became known as Wyandra Beach.

The railway line was completed 21st June 1897, six months earlier than expected. The extension of the line saw the township develop. The railway line was used extensively for mail and the trucking of stock and wool.

Wyandra was a major water stop for the steam engines. The Angellala railway bridge north of Wyandra has had few modifications since being built a century ago. The last passenger train departed Wyandra on 5th September 1994.

Enjoy a walk along the Heritage trail and the chance to meet the ghosts of earlier times.

By the turn of the century....Wyandra had a population of 100 permanent residents and about 400 other, mainly railway workers.
The township boasted two hotels - The Gladstone and The Commercial.

The original Gladstone Hotel was licensed in 1898. It was destroyed by fire in 1927 and rebuilt the same year by Clyde Cooper.

Brayley's Carriers

Percy Brayley began carrying wool in 1916 by bullock wagon. Percy bought his first truck, a Ruggles in 1925. "Emohruo" was his home and it is a reminder of the beauty of our architectural past. The house was built by James Cooper.

Police Station

In May 1897 four canvas tents were sent from the Roma Works Department to house the Police. A police cell/office was built in 1909 and prisoners were chained to the floor while awaiting transport.

The present Police Station was erected in 1913.

A copy of the Wyandra Heritage Trail can be obtained from the Cunnamulla Fell Centre or from the Power House in Wyandra.
Information Paroo Shire Council Cunnamulla Visitor Information Centre